cd2browse - Version 1.03
When might you use cd2browse?
Imagine you have a collection of files of different types (Word, Excel, JPEG, HTML, PDF) which you would like to organize and publish on a single CD or DVD in a way that allows a user to easily and coherently browse through the files. Manually creating an HTML index would take quite a bit of time; cd2browse automates and simplifies the task of organizing and linking your files into a logical whole.
- analyses the file tree, extracts valuable information out of the files, such as title, size, age, and number of pages and creates a browsable html index out of it. In other words after cd2browse has finished, you have a browasable view of the scanned directory structure
- creates thumbnails of images in the file tree - this can be switched off during creation also the size of the thumbnails can be defined
- creates previews of all images in the scanned file tree and make them browsable as a gallery the size can be defined
- provides a offline java script based search engine which allows a full text search. Indexed files are: pdf, word , excel, powerpoint and html documents
- does not affect the file tree itself. The resulting html files are outside the original file tree - so the file tree is not messed up with index or preview files.
- is customizable according to your needs. The look and feel can be changed using templates.
- cd2browse is open source, structured, documented an licensed under the GNU General Public License Version 2.
- Using the menu needs no software installation, you just need a modern browser which is able to run java script. The menus are built in pure html and java script.
- burning the menu and files on cd or dvd will force the cd to auto-start if the disc is inserted into the drive (Windows)
The target use for cd2browse is:
Technical documentation on CD or DVD
Simple web publishing for different kind of documents
Program or document collections for CD or DVD
Browsable MP3 Collections on CD / DVD
Publishing of images on CD / DVD
- since 1.02 easy to install on Windows
- open source
- runs on nearly all platforms
- no other software necessary on runtime
- no installation necessary on runtime
- no gimmicks on runtime - very fast
- GUI and command line user interfaces available since 1.02
- offline java script search engine included to search through the resulting menus
- depending on the package, additional software is necessary on create time
- menu create speed is average